Friday, March 23, 2007

reflections...

here i am standing in a pool of my own reflection.

i stare back.

i challenge.

i dare you not to move - we will play this game to see who turns away first.

my reflection mocks me as i reflect on what once was.

a glimmer of my former self i see in this sliver of a girl grinning back at me.

a painless and hopeful smile, a solid resolve, a lost look behind the eyes.

i reach up to feel the wrinkles of my own face, this face that i call home now.

i knew this girl, who reaches with elegant fingers towards me through the water.

she reflects on where she's come from and what she hopes to become.

she will become me... here in this body and this time and this mindset.

she will stare back at herself with prideful majesty and searching grace.

she will laugh.

and laugh.

and laugh.

she will sway with the music that never stops playing.

this girl that i see, that i think that i knew, but that time has forgotten.

i love her.

i reach my hand into the sun warmed pool and lace my fingers with hers... strong and calloused hands reach back to my soft ones.

i smile and we let go.

and as my hand comes back to the surface, and to this present, it makes circles in the water,

sending ripples out one on top of each other.

they radiate outward around me and i lose her face.

i only see this blur and the movement of my own hand.

i feel her somewhere settled deep inside of me

smiling for all the world to see.

i look around and see the water rippling, but before i go i'll take one thing with me.

i'll hold my breath and submerge myself in this pool,

where she and i will open our eyes under water

and see everything.

No comments: